Senator: from the termination of railway communication with Russia will hurt Ukrainians

© RIA Novosti / Evgeny to Kumaripati in photobunny commuter train is getting ready to go to the Kiev railway station in Moscow. Archival photoSenator: from the termination of railway communication with Russia will hurt Ukrainians© RIA Novosti / Evgeny to Kumaripati the image Bank

From a possible cessation of railway traffic with Russia in the first place will suffer the Ukrainians, told reporters on Thursday the Deputy head of the economic Committee of the Federation Council Valery Vasiliev.

Previously, the newspaper «Kommersant» with reference to sources in Kiev reported that Ukraine may stop passenger railway communication with Russia since July 1. However, the Minister of infrastructure Volodymyr Omelian announced that the Cabinet is not considering the question of the cessation of passenger railway communication with Russia. State administration of railway transport of Ukraine said the passenger trains in Russia run according to the schedule.

In addition, as announced on Thursday, the Ukrainian news Agency UNIAN, the national security Council and defence of Ukraine (NSDC) had not considered at its meetings, the issue of termination of passenger traffic in Russia. The Railways on Thursday, as a week ago, RIA Novosti reported that officially, no notification is not received.

Vasiliev believes that all the restrictive measures will be temporary in nature.

«According to media reports, the Kiev authorities plan from July 1 to terminate rail links with Russia completely. Freight transport has been terminated. Now the turn of passenger transportation», — said the Senator.

According to him, will lose from this decision are primarily citizens of Ukraine, as albeit much less than before, but nonetheless several million passengers a year travel by rail Ukraine — Russia, and the majority of them – residents of Ukraine.

«Termination of railway communication with Russia is a new inconvenience to them. The more that a significant part of operating in Russia Ukrainians working here in shifts method and almost once in every quarter for about a month, returned to the territory of Ukraine», — he added.

According to Vasilyev, of course, suffer and Ukrainian transport links with Russia, gave an impressive income. No communication with Russia, but at the expense of domestic traffic, Ukrainian Railways will not be able to recoup their activities, they have significantly reduced the ability to update the fleet of cars, to be repaired properly of a railway track, said the Senator.

«The authorities appease the railroad, constantly reminding that the aggravation of relations with Russia has led to the fact that almost 60% decline in passenger traffic. But, apparently, even the remaining 40% was a significant contribution, including in the Treasury of the country», — said the MP.

According to Vasilyev wins in this situation, private carriers, which will broaden the proposals for road transport. There will be new profit workers of neighboring Belarus, which already have serious additional profit and are actively developing opportunities as rail transportation and air transportation, as transit passengers are Ukrainian citizens increasingly use their services, said the legislator.

«Some damage will be incurred by the Ukraine and the loss of foreign currency earnings derived from the sales of products from border areas. According to estimates of Ukrainian experts, up to the end of the year, losses could reach over USD 3.5 billion. Such losses can not but affect the situation in the country as a whole – will increase the budget deficit, accelerate inflation,» — said Vasilyev.

As for the economic losses of Russia, the trade turnover with Ukrainian territory is so small that it is hardly perceptible impact on the economic situation in the country, he said. «But the political component of our relations is likely to worsen. This should not be forgotten in Kiev, taking such short-term political decision», — said the MP.

As the Senator noted, it is clear that in Ukraine there is a request to the aggravation of relations with Russia, and the government there responds to this request in the hope that by the next election the citizens of Ukraine will either forget that they at one time created discomfort, or the inconvenience just «lost» in the huge list of difficulties and contradictions in which today live as ordinary citizens of Ukraine.

«Maybe by that time everything will resolve itself, and the railway communication with Russia — both freight and passenger — will be restored. I’m sure it will happen, just whether to stand Poroshenko, I have very great doubts,» he added Vasiliev.

Source