Russia presented a draft design of the temple of Saint Sava in Belgrade

Россия представила проект оформления храма Святого Саввы в Белграде

Solemn presentation of the layout of the interior mosaic decorations of the dome of the Serbian temple of Saint Sava was held on Saturday in Belgrade, the correspondent of RIA Novosti.

Layout with thumbnails mosaic installed in the exhibition hall of the Russian house in the Central part of the Serbian capital.

“Cathedral of Saint Sava is one of the centers of Orthodoxy in the modern world, the hallmark of Belgrade, the Serbian spirit. Every Orthodox, every Russian coming to Belgrade, now to the temple,” — said in his speech at the presentation the Ambassador of the Russian Federation to Serbia Alexander Chepurin.

He recalled that St. Sava was not only a Serbian Saint, not only the first Serbian Patriarch, but also the spiritual link between Russia and Serbia. The fifth century monastery is decorated with frescoes depicting St. Sava the Serbian and his father, St. Simeon the myrrh-gusher.

“We can’t be proud of the fact that the Russian side is involved in the works on interior decoration of the temple. We are grateful to the company “Gazprom Neft” for her great treasure,” said Chepurin.

In addition Chepurina, the ceremony was attended by Serbian President Tomislav Nikolic, representatives of the clergy, the head of Rossotrudnichestvo Lyubov Glebova, member of the Board of “Gazprom oil” Alexander Dybal, Russian Ambassador in Belgrade Alexander Chepurin.

Installation of 1230 square meters of mosaic compositions will be performed on the inner surface of the Central dome of the temple of Saint Sava with the use of glass and natural stone.

Lead the execution of art works for the decoration of the temple is academician, member of the Russian Academy of arts, people’s artist of Russia Nikolai Mukhin. The completion of the decoration of the dome of the temple is scheduled for late 2017.

The Cathedral in Belgrade, dedicated to the founder of the Serbian Orthodox Church St. Sava Archbishop of Serbia, was founded in 1894 on the site of the burning of the Turkish authorities the Saint’s relics in 1594. Construction continued throughout the twentieth century with significant interruptions.

Beginning of the active phase of the construction of the Cathedral belongs to the 1935, but it was interrupted by world war II and the Communist Yugoslav period and only resumed in 1985. The author of the present project in the Serbian-Byzantine style the famous Serbian and Yugoslav architect Alexander Deroko. By 2004, all work on the construction of the Cathedral was completed. On stage — the interior of the Church.

The temple of St. Sava the Serbian is one of the largest Orthodox churches in the world with a floor area of 3650 square meters and a height with the cross is 79 meters, it is designed for 10 thousand people.

The General coordinator of the interior design and decoration of the temple in 2015 on behalf of the President of Russia Vladimir Putin is Russia and its culture. Funding is planned to be implemented with extrabudgetary funds provided by the Russian companies running business in Serbia. The first contribution in the amount of 4 million euros were allocated by PJSC “Gazprom Neft”.

Source