Montenegro said there are no plans to deploy NATO bases

© RIA Novosti / Alexei Vitvitskiy in Photobacterium in the hall for press conferences in the headquarters of NATO. Archival photoMontenegro said there are no plans to deploy NATO bases© RIA Novosti / Alexei Vitvitskiy the image Bank

Currently there is no initiative to deploy NATO bases in Montenegro, said in Brussels on Thursday, the defense Minister Predrag Boskovic.

The defense Minister of Montenegro adopted the day part in the meeting of heads of defense ministries of the countries-members of NATO in Brussels. Before the event, he answered a question of journalists on possibility of placing of military bases of the Alliance on the territory of the Republic.

«The question probably refers to interests outside the Balkan Peninsula. According to the information that I have, there is no initiative to deploy NATO bases in Montenegro. And even if Montenegro wanted and asked for it, I think that in the moment it is not in the interests of NATO», — said the Minister of defence.

In early June, Montenegro officially became the 29th member of the Alliance. A significant part of the population of this former Yugoslav Republic were against joining the Alliance. The country held protests.

Commenting on the accession of Montenegro to NATO, Russian foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said earlier that in exchange for loyalty Montenegro anti-sanctions and anti-Russian policy of the imposed it and membership in NATO. Lavrov said that it does not strengthen the security of the Alliance and leads to additional costs of its member countries. He noted that this trend returns the parties to the policy dividing lines in Europe, which undermines the many solemn promises of Western leaders on the need to ensure equal and indivisible security and is a dead end.

Montenegro said there are no plans to deploy NATO bases© RIA Novosti, Integratiebeleid in photobacteria NATO expansion

Source