In Moscow on the occasion of the 80th anniversary of the demolition of the Strastnoy monastery procession will be held

© RIA Novosti / Maxim to Bogodeeva in motobanquistas procession. Archival photoIn Moscow on the occasion of the 80th anniversary of the demolition of the Strastnoy monastery procession will be held© RIA Novosti / Maxim to Bogodeeva the image Bank

Orthodox believers, and speakers for the reconstruction of the Strastnoy monastery in Moscow, will hold on Saturday at Pushkin square, a prayer vigil and procession, devoted to destroyed 80 years ago this place of abode.

On Saturday the Russian Orthodox Church celebrates the feast of the miraculous «Holy» Mother of God, for which in the mid-seventeenth century, the capital was built the Holy nunnery. In 1937 its buildings were demolished.

«On 26 August at 14.00 held a festive prayer vigil and procession around the historic site of Strastnoy monastery. On Pushkin square will be installed a portable belfry, this also will be born an exact copy of the Holy icon of the virgin, written a few years ago specifically for the monastery, which we hope will be recreated in the future», — told RIA Novosti the organizers of the event.

The procession with the icon of the Mother of God «Passion» will start from the temple uspeniya Presvyatoy Bogoroditsy V putinkakh. The service will be headed by the rector of the Church Archpriest Alexey Gomonov, with the blessing of Patriarch Kirill became the spiritual father of the community the Passion of the monastery.

As said the organizers of the commemorative events will be held at the memorial stone of Strastnoy monastery, established some years ago near the Pushkin monument on the site of the monastery of the necropolis. After the prayer service, the procession will be held around the territory of the former Strastnoy monastery on the perimeter Pushkin square, including surviving a four-storey building of the former monastery hotel in the Small Putinkovsky lane.

According to the community the Passion of the monastery, for the revival of the monastery for 10 years were collected 128 thousand signatures. «Petitions for the restoration of the monastery in its historic territory sent to the Patriarchate and the municipality,» — told RIA Novosti the representative of the initiative group.

Holy mother of God was born 26 Aug 1641 in the Nizhniy Novgorod region in Moscow. At the pick of the icon in 1654 founded the Holy nunnery. The name of the icon received by reason of the image near the face of the virgin of the angels, holding the instruments of the «passion» (suffering) of Christ. At the beginning of 1929, the monastery was converted into a Central atheistic Museum, and in 1937 destroyed. Congregation of the Passion of the monastery appeared in 2006. On the site of the convent are now a monument to Pushkin square and the theatre «Russia» (former cinema «Pushkin»).