The Italian foreign Minister welcomed the ceasefire in Libya

© 2018 AFP / Mahmud Tigae on the city of Tripoli, Libya. Archival photoThe Italian foreign Minister welcomed the ceasefire in Libya© 2018 AFP / Mahmud Turkia

The Minister of foreign Affairs of Italy, Enzo Moavero-Milanesi said «very positive first news» about the truce made by the parties to the armed conflict in the Libyan capital Tripoli, according to the Agency.

«It is an important and meaningful agreement that provides for various other measures to ensure greater security in the capital, including the opening of the civil airport», — stated in the message.

The participants in the armed conflict in Tripoli had signed a truce agreement, announced on Tuesday evening, the UN mission support in Libya (UNSMIL/UNSMIL). It was achieved under the auspices of the head of UNSMIL Hassan Salaam. Side of the truce agreed to end the hostilities, to protect the civilian population, public and private property, and open the airport Mitiga.

Moavero previously-discussed new round of crisis in Libya with the UN special representative Ghassan salamé and the head of the national consensus government by Fathom Barragem. In the last conversation with the Italian Minister assured that his country «supports all efforts of their own and the international community to promote dialogue and reconciliation process to resolve the current crisis.» The foreign Ministry also noted that the priority theme of the conference on Libya will be safe, which is a precondition for elections, as well as issues of reconciliation and respect for human rights.

On Monday, Italian authorities denied the possibility of military intervention in Libya.

As the head of the Ministry of defense of Italy Elisabetta Trent, «military action in response to collision are not considered in any way». On Sunday, some Arab TV channel has announced the closure of the Italian Embassy in Tripoli and evacuated staff for security reasons. The diplomatic mission stated that it continues to work, however, the Italian media with reference to sources in diplomatic circles said that some employees still were taken jointly with the employees of Italian companies in Libya.

Clashes between rival armed groups began in Tripoli on August 26. In the conflict involved on the one hand the members of the so-called «Seventh infantry brigade» claiming to have formed a national consensus government, the Ministry of defense of Libya. Almost all the soldiers of the brigade — came from the city of Tarragon, located a few dozen kilometers South-East of Tripoli.

Soldiers of Tarragon are opposed by groups calling themselves the «Xinjiang Tripoli» (revolutionaries of Tripoli), formally included in the Ministry of internal Affairs of the national consensus government. Members of the «Xinjiang Tripoli» come from the Libyan capital. During the fighting in residential districts of the city are exposed to massive shelling.

Source