In Karelia under the rubble of the burned Church, found the ancient altar

© RIA Novosti / Igor Podgornyy in fotoracconti fire service at the burnt building of the Church of the Dormition of the Mother of God. Archival photoIn Karelia under the rubble of the burned Church, found the ancient altar© RIA Novosti / Igor Podgornaia the image Bank

Experts have discovered an ancient altar prirub under the rubble of the burned in Karelia in August, the Dormition Church, the press Secretary of the head of the region Marina Kabatak.

The fire in the Church of the Dormition occurred on September 10. Named the preliminary cause of the fire. Criminal case about destruction of cultural heritage. On suspicion in Commission of crime are detained 15-the summer teenager from Petrozavodsk. On August 24, began collecting donations for the restoration of the temple.

«Experts of the Moscow Institute memorials «Spetsproektrestavratsiya» conducted examination of the assumption Church. As a result of lower volume in the basement of the altar discovered carcass design is more ancient five walls of the altar on boulder foundations,» said Kabatak.

As specialists suggest, at the last rebuilding of the temple a new altar was built over the old, hiding within the new design. In addition, the Institute’s experts assessed safety of the elements of the monument, the percentage of loss of raw material and value settings are preserved logs, including extremely charred.

Currently arranged temporary warehousing of marked items that will be transported to storage and studying. Until November 15, the surviving fragments should be moved indoors. Up to this point, their preservation in the churchyard will provide round the clock security.

The Church of the Dormition of the Mother of God was located in the territory of the former village, marked the beginning of the town of Kondopoga, on a small promontory jutting into Chupa lip of lake Onega. The Church building was built in 1774 at sunset Northern wooden architecture in memory of the dead peasants during the Kizhi uprising in 1769-1771 years. It was a monument of folk wooden architecture of the late EIGHTEENTH century, historically the final evolution tent churches prionezhskiy school. It was one of the tallest wooden churches in the Russian North.

Source