The Minister of defence of Argentina criticized the idea of raising the submarine «San Juan»

CC BY 2.0 / Juan Kulichevsky / Submarino ARA San Ipodpedia boat San Juan Navy of Argentina. Archival photoThe Minister of defence of Argentina criticized the idea of raising the submarine «San Juan»CC BY 2.0 / Juan Kulichevsky / Submarino ARA San Juan

Defense Minister of Argentina Oscar Aguada stated that it would be foolhardy to allocate 4 billion dollars to raise from the seabed previously discovered the sunken submarine «San Juan», according to the newspaper Nacion.

«If you get (sub — editor) will really cost $ 4 billion, would be foolish to spend the money, this is my personal opinion», — said the Aguada.

«Four billion dollars in Argentina, where the poverty rate is 30%? I think this is folly,» he said.

The Aguada added that the submarine is at a very great depth, where it is almost impossible to get. «She is in the abyss, which is like an inverted mountain», — writes the edition.

«The raising of the submarine in these conditions will be delayed for one, two or three years. We need to concentrate on the investigation of what happened, to discover why people died,» — said the Minister.

Earlier, the President of Argentina Mauricio Macri announced three days of mourning for the deceased crew of the «San Juan». The submarine was discovered and deformed with signs of explosion. It found the ship the American company Infinity Ocean 500 miles from shore and at a depth of 900 metres on Friday evening.

According to captain Enrique Balbi, who previously served as the official representative of the Navy, the spread of debris around the boat is about 80-100 meters, this means that with high probability, directed inward «San Juan» the explosion could have happened when the boat was close to the seabed, presumably, two hours after its last communication of 15 November 2017.

«San Juan» stopped communicating 15 Nov 2017 during the transition from the naval base Ushuaia to Mar del Plata. At the time of last communication with submarines reported the accident. On Board were 44 people, including the first ever Argentinean woman-submariner Eliana Maria Krawczyk. Representatives of the Navy reported a single explosion, which can be associated with the disappearance of the «San Juan».

15 days after the disappearance of the submarine of naval forces of Argentina said that the operation to rescue 44 crew members, «San Juan» is terminated, but will continue the search for the submarine.

Source